April 25, 2008

Abra Ka-dabra



The other day I needed to get some cheapie electronic parts for my video installation.  

I was told that there were two good places in Montreal.  Addison  and Abra Electronics.  

I decided to go to Abra, I was not disappointed.

Although a little difficult to find...a maze of highways, the crossroads where Route 40 and 15 collide, once I arrived I found a safe little haven of friendliness and cool gadgets.  

My treck started at Cremazie metro where I had to take the 100 bus west to the Decarie.  

Abra is loacted on Cote De leisse - this strange road vastly spanning the entire space below the 40 highway.  

I was on the wrong side, and while passing underneath the 40, cars and trucks whooshing everywhere, a train stopped me in my tracks.   There also happened to be  a building being demolished; cutaway like some Gordon Matta-Clark.  So among all the cacophony and chaos of this urban landscape, I was quite relieved to find everything I needed at Abra, at surplus prices.

Breadboards, wiring kits, robot kits, all types of switches, buttons, and resistors, tools and LEDS.....nice for the geek in anyone.



No comments: