June 06, 2012

ART CENSORSHIP



Property Inequity Security, Arthur Desmarteaux and Allison Moore 2011
[Digital print 6'x4']
I am currently exhibiting work with Arthur Desmarteaux in a group show "Supercalifragilisticexpiadocious" at the Musée d'art contemporain des laurentides, with Marjolaine BOUDUA, Bruno GAREAU, Mathieu LATULIPPE, Chloé LEFEBVRE et Martin LORD. Although I was initially enthusiastic to be invited for my first exhibition in a Contemporary Art Museum, my enthusiasm deflated a week after the opening when curator, Nathalie Dussault asked Arthur and I [on behalf of the museum] to REMOVE one of our works. The work, Property Inequity Security is a large format digital print illustrating a war in the desert and featuring mostly images found from the internet. the piece was apparently censored for its sexual content [and not the prominent violent scenes]. I must admit I was surprised when Christelle Renoux, responsible for the museums communications and education programming wanted to use this particular work for a mediation project with kids [did she look closely enough?]. And I can understand careful editing decisions on the curators behalf before a show is mounted, but to be asked to remove an artwork from exhibition after the opening is frankly rude. Especially since this artwork in particular was celebrated and well-received at the opening by Museum staff, press people and guests to the museum. I am left severely deceived by the art world and freedom of expression. The show is up until June 11.

[cover image: Arthur Desmarteaux]

No comments: